Our school is a ‘Safer School’
West Mercia Police and Shropshire Council support our school with the Safer School initiative. We are an accredited ‘Safer School’ and proud of our Safer School sign and certificate. The accreditation is reviewed every two years.
The initiative is a holistic, practical and realistic approach to school security and personal safety. It gives our school a clear focus on the subject and turns a negative subject into a positive one. It sets a minimum standard for school security.
The essential elements of the ‘Safer School’ process include:-
- Implementing a security policy that the governors have adopted.
- Consulting parents/carers and pupils/students for their views and updating them on any progress.
- Publicity of Safer Schools to school staff, pupils, school neighbours, parents and prospective parents.
- Establishing a Safer School Group. This Safer School Group is a partnership of school stakeholders – Headteacher/Deputy, staff, governors, parents, pupils, neighbours, Shropshire Council and West Mercia Police.
- Regularly reviewing and implementing good practice and essential security/safety measures for staff, pupils, the site and assets.
- Educating pupils through the Personal, Social, Health and Economic curriculum programme or the Safer School folder.
- A daily procedure for recording incidents should they occur i.e. trespass, burglary, theft, anti-social behaviour, vandalism, arson, suspicious activity etc., both during school hours and out-of hours.
- Solving real problems rather than perceived problems. Prioritising work (if any) and reviewing action.
- If there are security issues i.e. vandalism, anti-social behaviour etc., the intention of the initiative is to reduce/eliminate the issues.
27/04/21 | We are delighted to share that our Safer School accreditation has been approved for a further 2 years! Please see the below feedback:
Ian Bartlett, Crime Prevention Officer commented; “The involvement of Lower Heath CE Primary School in the ‘Safer Schools’ initiative is first class!! Mrs Sadler recently held an annual ‘Safer School’ meeting at the school, supported by governors, pupils, the Police and myself representing Shropshire Council. A thorough meeting, covering all aspects of the security/safety process. This included a pro-active approach to security/safety, consultation with parents/carers/pupils through surveys, reflecting on any school issues and planning for the future. It was a really positive meeting with good contribution by all those present and especially the pupils! Excellent work and a future meeting is planned for May 2022.”